Y8 Options- Business Studies
BUSINESS STUDIES - GCSE Option
Heads of Department:
Mrs J Sandhar & Mrs M Fear
What Will I Study?
Students will learn the practical and theoretical side of starting up and running a business and learn how businesses manage their finances and the people who work for them.
Students will study the following topics:
Investigating small business
- Enterprise and entrepreneurship
- Spotting a business opportunity
- Putting a business idea into practice
- Making the business effective
- Understanding external influences on business
Building a Business
- Growing the business
- Making marketing decisions
- Making operational decisions
- Making financial decisions
- Making human resource decisions
Students will be introduced to national and global business contexts and will develop an understanding of how these contexts impact business behaviour and decisions. National contexts build on those in Theme 1 and relate to businesses operating in more than one location or across the UK. Global contexts relate to non-UK or transnational businesses. Students must develop an understanding of the interdependent nature of business activity through interactions between business operations, finance, marketing and human resources, as well as the relationship between the business and the environment in which it operates. Students must understand how these functional areas influence business activity and how interdependencies and relationships between them underpin business decisions.
What Skills Will I Develop?
- Discussion, numeracy, presentation, investigations and interpreting data.
- Practical skills including time management, personal organisation and action planning.
- Real life case studies will be used wherever possible to make it easier for students to relate to and apply their knowledge and skills developed throughout the course.
- Distinguish facts and opinions, to build arguments and make informed judgements.
- Develop and apply their knowledge, understanding and skills to contemporary issues in a range of local, national and global contexts.
- Appreciate the range of perspectives of different stakeholders in relation to business and economic activities.
- Consider the extent to which business and economic activity can be ethical and sustainable.
How Will I Be Assessed?
There will be two written exams, both are 1 hour & 30 minutes and account for 50% each.
Paper 1 is Investigating Small Business & Paper 2 is Building a Business
Both papers are divided into three sections. Section A is based on Business knowledge. Section B and C are based on case study material that must be applied to all questions. Use of numeracy skills through business calculations and analysis of data.
For more information view the video below: