BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Sport
Exam Board: Edexcel
Subject Leader: Miss A Usen
The BTEC Extended Diploma in Sport covers a wide range of Sport related topic areas ranging from sports leadership, anatomy and physiology and sports psychology. This course provides a balance of theory based and practical lessons and intends to provide students with the foundations for a career or further study within the sport and exercise field.
How is the course organised and assessed?
The BTEC Extended Diploma in Sport is an alternative to A Levels. It is the perfect course for those who have completed the BTEC Level 2, GCSE PE or those who have already decided that Sport is the area they want to focus on and gain a career in. It is taught by the PE Department and is assessed through a mixture of internally assessed coursework and external assessments. The main benefit of this course is that we can offer it as a 1, 2 or 3 A Level equivalent. This means students could blend this with other A Levels or choose to focus solely on this qualification in Sixth Form. You will study a variety of units in Year 12 and Year 13, these include:
• Anatomy and physiology (external exam)
• Fitness training and programming for health, sport and wellbeing (external vocational task)
• Professional development in the sports industry (internal)
• Sports leadership (internal)
• Application of fitness testing (internal)
• Sports psychology (internal)
• Practical sports performance (internal)
• Coaching for performance (internal)
• Research methods in sport (internal)
• Sports injury management (internal)
• Development and provision of sport external vocational task)
• Investigating business in sport (external vocational task)
• Skill acquisition in sport (internal)
• Rules, regulations and officiating in sport (internal)
This course is equivalent to three A Levels and is recognised by the majority of further education colleges. It is an excellent base for further study or to build a career in sport from, whether you are a talented sportsperson, or you want to get a qualification studying a subject you enjoy, this is the course for you.